In matters of bankruptcy, insolvency, and financial restructuring, De Grandpré Chait has established a significant reputation for solving even the most complex and challenging insolvencies and corporate restructurings. Liquidators, monitors, trustees, receivers, lenders, creditors and debtors alike can expect efficient and innovative approaches for every file and mandate we handle.
Our team provides advisory services and acts as counsel for major Canadian and U.S. financial institutions, boards of directors, court-appointed trustees, bondholders and distressed investors, and corporations in financial difficulty. We handle Canada/US cross-border insolvency proceedings, as well as public and private international insolvencies. Our insolvency and restructuring litigators frequently appear before all levels of courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada. You can also benefit from our many years of experience in court-supervised restructurings, coordinating legal proceedings in multiple jurisdictions, and cross-border legal proceedings.
Covering every aspect of bankruptcy, insolvency and financial restructuring, our experience includes matters relating to:
- Court-appointed trustees, monitors, and receivers for debtors
- Formal and informal arrangements or restructurings
- Creditors’ committees
- Oppression remedies, priority disputes, fraudulent conveyances, preferences and other reviewable transactions
- Proceedings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and the Winding-up and Restructuring Act
- Realization on secured assets and restructuring using arrangement provisions of corporate statutes, as well as court financial restructurings
- Forbearance agreements, debtor in possession financing arrangements, loan amendments into creditor agreements, plans of arrangements and asset-based financing
Acknowledged for their know-how, our lawyers contribute to papers and are often invited as speakers at conferences organized by The Canadian Institute, Insight, Les Éditions Yvon Blais, the Association de planification fiscale et financière, the mandatory continuing education program of the Barreau du Québec, and the Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Restructuring Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
- Acted for a major REIT creditor, First Place Shopping Centres Limited, in the matter of the Plan of Compromise or Arrangement of Dumoulin Electronic Group Inc. et al.
- Represented the principal secured creditor Carlisle Capital Structures Corporation, acting on behalf of a major Canadian pension fund, in respect of the realization of their capital investments focused on the Canadian seniors' housing market, in the matter of the bankruptcy of Group Melior Inc.
- Represented Samson Bélair / Deloitte & Touche Inc. in their capacity as controller-liquidator in the matter of the arrangement of Pebercan Inc., and its subsequent liquidation and dissolution under the Canadian Business Corporations Act
- Acted for Ferrari S.p.A., a major creditor in the matter of the plan of arrangement and compromise of Blue Mountain Wallcoverings Group Inc. under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act, securing the recovery of a significant distribution