Stéphanie La Rocque
Stéphanie La Rocque is experienced in real estate, banking, and commercial litigation, enabling her to handle a vast assortment of mandates with widely recognized proficiency and efficiency. She represents a clientele mostly composed of property owners, financial institutions and small to mid-sized businesses operating in diverse industries.
Her litigation practice comprises matters of bankruptcy, insolvency, debt recovery, as well as extraordinary remedies such as injunctions and seizures before judgment. She also represents lenders who have been victimized in cases of fraud in general commercial situations, as well as in fraudulent real estate scams. She has also developed an expertise with respect to prevention, detection and investigation of frauds. As of 2019, Stéphanie La Rocque became a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE).
Creative, reliable and detail-oriented, Stéphanie La Rocque has represented clients before courts of all levels, seeking solutions and settlements that are in their best interest from both a practical and a financial perspective. She has a demonstrated a natural ability to analyze, synthesize and communicate complex factual and legal issues when it comes to persuading or making recommendations regarding a particular matter.
In addition to her practice, Stéphanie La Rocque is a member of the firm’s board of directors and teaches civil procedure and proof at the École du Barreau du Québec.
- Obtained on behalf of various businesses, the annulment of seizures before judgment regarding their assets, in first instance, as well as in appeal
- Successfully represented merchants in files pertaining to the Québec Consumer Protection Act
- Obtained from the Québec Court of Appeal on behalf of a lender having financed an installment sales contract in which the buyer had used a stolen identity, an important judgment regarding the obligations of the retailer guaranteeing the authenticity of the contract
- Obtained from the Court of Appeal a judgment confirming the interruption of the prescription of a loan following actions taken by the liquidators of an estate
- Obtained numerous judgments favoring the swift and smooth progress of the dispute resolution process when opposing parties are using delay tactics
- Obtained numerous judgments establishing the rights of parties regarding publication at the Register of personal and moveable real rights (RDPRM) and the Land Registry
- Obtained numerous decisions regarding the application and qualification of leasing or lease buyback contracts on behalf of lending companies
2014 - Litigation Lawyers to Watch by Lexpert®
2013 - Rising Stars – Leading Lawyers Under 40 by Lexpert®
- Quebec Bar
- Montreal Bar
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), Global and Montreal Chapter
- Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal
- Association of Quebec Women in Finance
- Lord Reading Law Society
- Fondation du Barreau du Québec (Quebec Bar Foundation), Governor
- AGF Group Foundation, member of the Board of Directors (2017 to date)
- ReferToHerTM, listed as reference in Commercial Litigation
- Mount Royal Tennis Club, member of the Board of Directors, secretary and vice-president (2015 to date)
- Théâtre de Quat’Sous, member of the Board of Directors (2014-2018)
- Meals-on-Wheels of Greater Montreal, member of the Board of Directors and treasurer (2007-2010)
May 2013 - Shareholder Disputes: Issues and Solutions, De Grandpré Chait Litigation Conference
May 2013 - Landlord & Tenant Rights and Remedies: Five common default scenarios and other issues that you need to be aware of in today’s market, Montréal Real Estate Leasing Conference, Canada’s Leading Real Estate Forum