Robert C. Potvin
Specialized in commercial litigation and insolvency, Robert Potvin represents small and mid-sized businesses, including family-owned companies, as well as financial institutions before the courts, arbitration boards and various other decision-making bodies with respect to litigation involving contractual disputes or injunctions. He provides entrepreneurs with strategic advice aimed at anticipating or avoiding impending claims, and represents them with respect to negotiating and achieving out-of-court settlements.
Mr. Potvin has developed a diversified practice, acting in files regarding the realization of securities, debt collection, as well as contractual and extra-contractual liability. In addition, a part of his practice involves labour law with regards to litigation related to dismissals or complaints under the Labour Standards Act.
Throughout his career, Mr. Potvin has held positions on various boards, including the Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de la Rive-Sud and the Young Bar Association of Montreal, and has actively participated in the Bar of Montreal mentoring program. He has taught at the Montréal Bar School drafting section, and was a lecturer at the Legal Services Office of the Law Faculty of Université de Montréal. Author of articles focused on his various areas of expertise, Mr. Potvin has also been invited as a lecturer at seminars, including creditors’ rights and bankruptcy, for the Business Development Bank of Canada and the Ordre des CGA du Québec.
- Acted for the purchaser in the contestation of a motion by the vendors to cancel a $6 M arbitration award involving the adjustment of the price of shares based on normalized EBITDA
- Represented the purchaser of shares in a distribution company in connection with an arbitration to reduce by $12 M the initial sale price, which was based on normalized EBITDA further to misrepresentations by the vendor
- Québec Bar, member of Disciplinary Committee
- Liaison Committee with the Court of Québec, Civil Division of the Bar of Montreal (member 2006 and 2007)
- Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal
- Renaissance, member of the Board of Directors
March 2011 - Beware of the Words "Final Payment" on a cheque, De Grandpré Chait Newsletter