Stephen M. Raicek
Renowned for his significant experience in restructuring, turnaround and insolvency, Stephen M. Raicek is called upon by major financial institutions, distressed businesses and accounting firms specializing in business turnarounds and insolvency to provide pragmatic advice and practical solutions.
Mr. Raicek has been frequently involved in many complex bankruptcy and restructuring files over the years. He regularly acts for major creditors and lenders, and represents court officers such as trustees, controllers and receivers in the context of liquidations, reorganizations, bankruptcies and plans of compromise or arrangement before the courts of all levels.
Prior to joining our insolvency team, Mr. Raicek headed both the Litigation and Insolvency groups of a national law firm. As acknowledgement of his expertise, he now heads the Litigation and Insolvency sector of De Grandpré Chait. Mr. Raicek is renowned throughout Canada and accordingly, has been invited to be the guest speaker at numerous conferences organized by the Canadian Bar Association, Insight, The Canadian Institute and the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP).
- Acted as counsel to a major creditor in the matter of the Plan of Compromise or Arrangement of a specialized electronic group
- Acted as counsel to a major creditor in securing the recovery of a significant distribution in the matter of a Plan of Arrangement under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act
- Represented a company acting as a Controller in the liquidation and dissolution of a business in the matter of a Plan of Arrangement under section 192 of the Canada Business Corporations Act
- Represented a principal secured creditor, on behalf of a major Canadian pension fund, in respect of the realization of their capital investments focused on the Canadian seniors' housing market in the matter of a bankruptcy
- Represented a client in respect of certain orders pronounced against him in the matter of a foreign bankruptcy and receivership, including an Order for the recognition of a main foreign proceeding and an Order to obtain the issuance of a warrant for search and seizure; the preparation and service of a Motion to review, rescind and modify various orders rendered pursuant to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency act, and successfully appearing before the court on behalf of the client to obtain a safeguard order.
- Québec Bar
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP)
- Insolvency Institute of Canada
- INSOL International, National Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section
- Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal
March 2009 - Restructuration gré à gré ou par voie judiciaire, Economic and Financial Summit, Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec (OCAQ) and De Grandpré Chait